O.Thetford, P.Gray German Aircraft of the First World War (Putnam)
Oertz W 6 Flugschoner
Engines, 2 x 240 h.p. Maybach Mb IV. Span, 200 m. (65 ft. 7 1/2 in.). Length, 14.53 m. (47 ft. 8 1/8 in.). Height, 4.78 m. (15 ft. 8 1/4 in.). Area, 162.7 sq.m. (1,757 sq.ft.). Weights: Empty, 3,780 kg. (8,316 lb.). Loaded, 5,030 kg. (11,066 lb.). Speed, 115-118 km.hr. (71.825-73.875 m.p.h.). At a later date mid-wing ailerons were fitted to the rear pair of wings to improve lateral control.
Форум Breguet's Aircraft Challenge
The pusher propellers powered by two Maybach 240 PS (Hp) engines. The pusher propellers were mounted on a separate construction just behind the front wing.
Although the machine was not very succesfull it was acquired by the German Marine under Number 281.
The other Oertz flying boats were very elegant conventional biplane machines, this was the one out of the box. Probably another designer who wanted to try something a little different.
Flight, October 9, 1919.
THE OERTZ FLYING BOATS
"Already at the outbreak of war, Mr. Oertz was considering the design of large flying boats. In order to reduce the overall span of large machines, which may, under certain conditions, be a great disadvantage at sea, he evolved the, in itself, quite novel idea of constructing a tandem machine. [This is incorrect. The tandem machine had already been considered, and, in fact, several had been built, although they could hardly be said to be very successful. - ED., FLIGHT.] After model tests by Professor Prandel at the Gottingen Laboratory, the construction shown in Figs. 7 to 10 was decided upon, and the boat was finished in 1916. It was given the official, and more seamanlike, title of 'The Flying Schooner.' The 'Flying Schooner' had two 240 h.p. Maybach engines, placed side by side, and attained a speed of about 71 m.p.h., which was better than the speed predicted by Gottingen. The 'Flying Schooner' was especially good for starting and alighting. In order to enable it to make shorter turns, inter-plane ailerons were fitted between the rear planes. These have not yet been fitted in the photograph, Fig. 8, but may be seen in Figs. 9 and 10.
"The appearance of the large fast American Curtiss flying boats in the War gave the impetus for us also to start construction of large boats to a considerable extent. In connection with the Brandenburg Aircraft Works, the construction of two large flying boats with two 300 h.p. engines was commenced. The hulls of these boats were already finished when the Armistice came, but the work on the complete boats was then stopped. May it be resumed again for the benefit of peaceful development."