M.Goodall, A.Tagg British Aircraft before the Great War (Schiffer)
Deleted by request of (c)Schiffer Publishing
P.Lewis British Aircraft 1809-1914 (Putnam)
The Ding-Sayers single-seat canard monoplane was built during 1911 and was tested at Brooklands. The engine was a 50 h.p. Gnome, and the design was based on the successful model biplane designed by W. H. Sayers which won first prize at the 1911 Olympia Aero Show.
Flight, April 15, 1911.
MODEL PRIZE WINNERS AT OLYMPIA.
1st Prize, Flying Model. W. H. SAYERS (NO. 46).
A very small Ding-Sayers biplane, fitted with running wheels to enable it to rise from the ground. The lower and upper planes are both of an elongated diamond shape in plan form but have a proper and inverted dihedral respectively, so that their extremities meet together and form a diamond-shaped gap in elevation. Between the main planes are two triangular-shaped vertical fins, and right in front is an elevator of diamond plan form, having a dihedral angle. At the rear of the main planes are two built-up propellers of 4 1/2 ins. diameter. The planes, framework and propellers are all mounted on a central tubular girder, which is very efficiently trussed with wire and struts. This model rises from the ground after a run of a few yards and flies very steadily, covering a considerable distance for its size. It also flies very well when launched from the hand, and can be so adjusted as to fly in small circles. It will be noticed that a bent wire skid is arranged in front of the model, and this also acts as a shock absorber should the model land suddenly. Waterproof silk is used for covering the wings of this model, which weighs only 1 1/2 ozs. complete.